This fellowship is open to:

  1. Post-doctoral fellows;
  2. Senior professional students (MD, DDS, DVM, PharmD, etc.) in health-related disciplines (human or animal) such as medicine, nursing (PhD level only), dentistry, optometry, etc.; and
  3. Advanced doctoral students (PhD, DrPH, etc.) in fields such as health sciences, social and behavioral sciences, nutrition, environment, etc.

Doctoral students, and professional students who apply must currently be affiliated with one of the ten University of California campuses. However, post-doc applicants do not necessarily need to be affiliated with a UC campus prior to applying.

Applicants must be:
  • Citizens of the United States or its territories or possessions, or persons lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence (resident aliens must include their green card number in their application), OR if they are postdocs, can be citizens from one of the 17 low- and middle-income countries (LMICs) represented in the GloCal Health Fellowship Program. (Please click here to see a list of eligible countries and affiliated international sites.) Applicants from LMICs must carry out their fellowships in their home countries.
  • All applicants must have demonstrated interest in, and statement of commitment to, a career in global health research.
  • All applicants must have the support of one of the four UC campuses participating in the fellowship (UCSF, UCSD, UCLA, UCD) as well as an affiliated international site, including committed mentors from both the UC and the international site.

Preference is given to US-based post-doctoral applicants and professional student applicants who have received support from a UC NIH T32 or D43-based research training grant.

U. S. citizens or permanent residents who are advanced doctoral students in global health sciences (e.g., medicine, dentistry, nursing, public health, veterinary medicine, or basic biomedical sciences) at any of the 10 UC campuses may apply. PhD students should have completed their Master's-level coursework, and professional doctoral degree candidates should have completed their basic science courses and one year of clinical training. Doctoral students who are enrolled in a joint doctoral program between a UC and another university (e.g., SDSU) are eligible to apply.